Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Cauliflower, leek & potato soup w crispy bacon & croutons

Today I've had a sick little man at home. Paddy, who is four, has a terrible earache AND super grumpy AND tired.  Soup is just about the only thing that makes me feel better when I'm crook so being the 'food cures all' mum that I am, I made soup. Unfortunately Paddy thought differently. "Ewwww" was all he said, thankfully the teenagers came home from school and saved my self-esteem by declaring the soup, super-soup!!

Here's how it goes:

1tblsp  Oil
1         Cauliflower head, florets
3         Leeks, sliced finely
8         Desiree potatoes, peeled & chopped
3         Garlic cloves
2l        Chicken or Vegetable stock
2l        Water
1cup    Croutons, home made, bought, whatever you choose!!
4         Bacon rashers, grilled & chopped
           Sour cream
           salt & pepper




  1. Heat oil in a large stock pot then saute the leeks until soft, season.
  2. Add potatoes, cauliflower and garlic cloves and cover with stock and water, stirring 
  3. Cover and slowly bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. 
  4. Cook for 2-3hrs or until the potatoes are falling apart, then blend with a stab mixer. 
  5. Serve in deep soup bowls sprinkled with croutons, bacon and a little dab of sour cream. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love your feedback, comments & questions... :-)